Well, I'd say last week was a success for the progress of the studio! I'd also say it was a pretty big failure for the state of my body. Man, I'm getting old. Even my 70-year-old dad out-did me, and that's just sad. Even though my fingers are swollen, and my feet hurt, I've gotta say it was 100% worth it.
We started the studio construction on Monday the 26th, and that day we didn't do much other than get the materials, and a few chalklines for the live room down. I was pretty sore that evening.
On Tuesday, we had the help of a certain Jeff Stock, and I'd say he was the biggest boon to the progress for the whole week. I met Jeff at the Art City Music Fest in October, and he offered to help out. Come to find out he's a pretty skilled framer! By the end of the day on Tuesday, we had all but 3 exterior walls framed and ready to set.
For most of the day on Wednesday I was by myself, so I didn't get much done. I built two more walls, and got 3 of the six walls set in place.
Thursday I had the help of both Jake Cluff and my illustrious father, and we kicked major bootie. We got all the walls set, built 7 more walls (6 for the dead room), and got started on putting the TJI floor-joists up for the floating ceiling.
Friday, Dad, Jake, and I got all the TJI's up and nailed to the walls, and tightened everything up.
Saturday, I packed up the gear, put in a few more nails here and there, and stuck a fork in it. The live room is now framed!
So, for those of you wondering why it took so long to frame a single room, suffice it to say the room is almost 11 feet tall, and 23 feet long and wide. It's a huge room. Another big determining factor is that it's a studio. It needs to not only be quiet, it needs to be *silent*. In order to achieve this, none of the walls can touch any of the concrete exterior walls, except the floor. This means all the walls built were floating, and secured by WIC isolating sway brace clips. We had to build our own ceiling, and none of the dead-room walls can touch any of the live-room walls. It also means that the ducts from the HVAC can't touch any part of the interior room. Pretty big endeavour.
Anyway, we got it all done, and now I've got to figure out when I can start on the control room, which should take about half the time to build. The control room needs to be quiet, but not silent, and that is much, much easier to obtain.
Anyway, that's the update. Here's a link to a video of the build - warning, turn your speakers down before you click.